Published by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc.FFRF.org
Gallery: Former churches with better missions
Vol. 35 No. 10 December 2018
Share on Facebook or Twitter
Save this article
Life Member David M. Shea of Maryland informed us of a repurposed church in Ellicott City, Md. (left), that now houses the Howard County Historical Society Museum. The former First Presbyterian Church was built in 1837, but collapsed during renovations in 1894. Rebuilt that year, the church had a Gothic-style structure with a 100-foot bell tower, steeply pitched roof and stained and leaded glass windows. The church was donated to the Howard County Historical Society in 1960 by Mrs. James (Alda Hopkins) Clark.