Published by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc.FFRF.org
Former churches with better missions
Vol. 37 No. 02 March 2020
Share on Facebook or Twitter
Save this article
Peter Kroopnick sent us this photo of the former Sacred Heart Church in Prescott, Ariz. The building, which was added to the National Registry of Historic Buildings on Dec. 14, 1970, now houses the Prescott Center for the Arts Mainstage Theatre & Art Gallery complex. In 1889, Father Quetu came to Prescott to take over the Sacred Heart Parish and build the Sacred Heart Church. Construction began in 1891 and was completed in 1894. The first service was held in 1895. During the late 1960s, the church was also used to present plays. In 1967, the church was purchased by Norma Hazeltine, who then donated it for use as a full-time performing arts facility.